Jesuit Volunteer Program
Our Program at a Glance
The Christ the King Jesuit Volunteer Program connects recent college graduates who wish to serve in a low-income communities with the opportunity to work in an innovative educational environment for 22 months. Christ the King Jesuit College Prep, a member of the Cristo Rey Network, was established to provide working families of Chicago’s West Side with the opportunity for a safe, faith-based, and affordable college preparatory education. Jesuit volunteers are an essential part of the school's mission and provide vital services across the institution.
How Can I Make a Difference?
The volunteer program matches the needs of the school with the interests and talents of the volunteers. Our current volunteers work in our Corporate Work Study and Development Offices, operate the school library, assist teachers in the classroom, and engage extensively in student activities, coaching, and campus ministry. All JVs serve as role models for students while gaining valuable professional work experience managing projects, planning lessons, and so much more!
What is JV Life Like?
The Christ the King volunteers live in intentional community in the Lizzy Seeberg Volunteer House across the street from the school. The volunteers share the responsibilities of running a household from cooking and cleaning to deciding what movie to watch on movie night! JVs also spend structured time each week in reflection on their service and the ways it has impacted them. This reflection may come in the form of a discussion, community event, communal prayer, or Mass. Another element of the volunteer program is a lifestyle of simplicity, through which JVs are given the opportunity to focus on what is most important, both materially and spiritually. And in all the work they do, JVs are supported by program staff who accompany them on their JV journey - professionally, emotionally, and spiritually.
Benefits of Serving as a JV
The Christ the King Volunteer Program is more than just an interlude before graduate school or a career. Volunteers make important contributions to the lives of our students and, in the process, are changed through their service to the community. However, the decision to give so completely of one’s self is not always an easy one. After all, you have bills to pay and plans to consider. Here are some things to keep in mind as you make your decision:
- A professional, supportive work environment
- Mentoring by experienced teachers, faculty, and staff
- An intentional community of fellow Jesuit volunteers
- Opportunities for professional development
- Opportunities for spiritual and personal growth
- Eligibility for Service Award of approximately $2,500, at the conclusion of two years of service
- HMO Health Insurance
- Full Dental Coverage
- Full Room & Board
- Personal Transportation
- Monthly living stipend of $450.00
If you have additional questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Serve as a Jesuit Volunteer at
Christ the King!
- Serve the students of Christ the King Jesuit College Prep as a coach, mentor, assistant teacher, campus minister, development and communications associate, or as support staff in the Corporate Work Study Office
- Live in an intentional community with other JVs in Chicago's Austin neighborhood
- Grow as a professional through tangible, hands-on work in a nonprofit setting
- Deepen your own spirituality through retreats and faith formation